Friday, October 06, 2006

Research

I'm researching a spinning wheel. So far I have discovered this: Most retailers charge exactly the same thing for the same stuff. The difference is normally in the shipping costs. Some, thankfully, provide free shipping.

Other than that I have learned this: That ratio might be important. I like to spin fairly thin yarn. I want to have a wheel so it is easier to ply the yarn I spin. So I need something that offers a fairly wide ratio rate.

At this point I'm most intrigued by the Kromski Symphony with a Mahogany finish. The ratio ranges from 8:1 to 20:1. The cost is $465.00 which is more than $100 over my second choice.

My second choice is The Kromski Prelude also in Mahogany finish. It's ratio is 6:1 to 13:1. But it is a single drive only. I think I want the option of both which the Symphony has. The Prelude is $342.00.

Third choice is the Ashford Tradition in the Antique Finish. The cost is what is prohibitive here: Single drive is $470.00 and the Double Drive is $510.00. The ratio is 7.5:1 to 14:1.

Finally, the Traveller in Antique Finish is now my third choice. I really like the size and design but the ratio is far more restrictive: 6.5:1 to 11.5:1. The cost is also a bit high: Single Drive is $490.00 and the Double Drive is $505.00.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me additional feedback on what is going to be my best bet.

I'm hoping that some folks at the Fall Fiber Festival at Montpelier this weekend will have wheels I can test drive.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Have you considered the Lendrum?

The ratios are comparable to the others you are considering, you can get a good package with it from the woolery or woodland woolworks and it spins like a dream.

the bobbins are very large too, but it is only a scotch tension.

Barbara
the-string-and-i.blogspot.com/