Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Soldier sock progress

Okay, I know this stuff may be boring for some folks, but I enjoy the process of the knitting.

Here is a picture of the first soldier sock so far. John is modeling for us. It looks a little tight to me but he said it feels very comfortable. I'm not thrilled with the top edge but having some feed back from other sock knitters, they tell me with some use, the cast on edge will smooth out and even out.

I mentioned that I'm sort of meditating my way through these socks and am including good wishes of protection for the soldier who will end up wearing it. Many of the knitters chimed in, which I think is pretty cool, and it got pretty Christian pretty fast.

I don't have a problem with that, but I did point out that I'm not Christian and it would be nice if we could go with a generic sort of best wishes note.

The others in the group were really cool about it. Seems like these times are a changin'. Two years ago I would have been run out of the group on my ear for even suggesting that I might be working a spell on these socks or even hinting that I wasn't necessarily "down with God."

There may be hope for America yet. We were founded on the principal of equal rights, freedom from kingship and freedom of religion.

3 comments:

Katherine said...

Thanks for your kind comments on my blog. You are right--we are all different and like different things. And, we need to understand each others' feelings and beliefs, and respect them!

I think you are awesome, knitting socks for soldiers and stitching in thoughts of love and safety. Keep up the good work

Katherine said...

Thanks for your kind comments on my blog. You are right--we are all different and like different things. And, we need to understand each others' feelings and beliefs, and respect them!

I think you are awesome, knitting socks for soldiers and stitching in thoughts of love and safety. Keep up the good work

Katherine said...

I tried this before and the comment didn't show up. Forgive me if it shows up twice later!

Thanks for your kind words on my blog. You are right, we are all different and like different things. I've made my peace with it.

You are awesome, knitting socks for soldiers, and stitching in thoughts of love and safety. Keep up the good work!