Friday, December 17, 2010

Moving towards Earth

Over the course of the last month or so, I've been moving towards a healthier bread. I'm not there yet but getting closer. I sprouted organic wheat kernels and dried them. I am keeping these babies stored in the freezer. I purchased organic rye flour (and am searching for organic rye berries). I made sourdough starter. I purchased organic smelt flour. I have only a little all purpose white flour left.

I made two loaves of bread yesterday from all my new ingredients and just a bit of the white flour. I ground the wheat in a coffee grinder (not previously used for anything else). I added caraway seed.

I probably could have let the loaves rise a bit longer, but they seemed very moist and I was afraid they were too fragile and did not have enough active gluten to support a high rise. But they crested the pans a little and I put them in the oven for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

Oh my, this is really good bread. I don't know how to explain the LACK of rancidity. The flavor is wonderful and I cannot wait to get rye berries and sprout them myself for flour.

No comments: