Saturday, March 28, 2009

I'm thinking compost

Okay, this is the summer, I hope to work seriously towards getting back in shape. Just don't tell Ken because he will nag me about it which does nothing but make me quit.

Anyway, I don't plan to join a gym. Too expensive and very time consuming and it requires the purchase of clothing I don't want to spend money on.

So, I'm thinking that my gardens have been in disarray for a very long time (ever since I hurt my knee). If I come home in the evenings and head outdoors and avoid the kitchen, then I will eat less. Nothing wrong with a salad or sandwich for dinner instead of a full meal, right?

I have been saving up coffee grounds all winter with the intention of installing worms in a vermiculture kind of thing (it's actually an old styrofoam cooler now filled with coffee grounds and egg shells. I will layer some vegetable kitchen waste on top and buy a container of worms this weekend. If it works, the little wiggly guys will be very happy and can start eating on the veggies.

The other thing I am going to do is make some compost piles. I found this website for compost which shows the proper ratio for layers depending upon what you have around.

We shred an amazing amount of paper where I work. Right now it goes into the dumpster and I've always felt a little bad about that. So starting Monday, I'm going to commander a bag or two and bring it home.

According to the compost caculator I can make a proper compost pile with the following:

1 unit of coffee grounds
1 unit of chicken poo
5 units of straw
13 units of shredded office paper

The idea is to layer it, turn it every 2 to 5 days, and keep it moist. In three weeks, it is supposed to be useable compost for the garden.

I'm thinking that if I do the building and turning, I will burn a lot of calories and maybe build some muscle in the meantime.

No comments: