Sunday, April 22, 2007

Washing Day?

It's 7:48 a.m.

I've been up since 5:30 a.m.

I'm waiting for Ken to get up.

Yesterday I purchased materials to make a drying rack for my fibers. He told me he was going to hurry home from his granddaughter's party yesterday and help me assemble it yesterday. Didn't happen.

He said he was going to get up early today and cut up trees that feel down in the yard (the apple tree and part of the plum), remove the mimosa trees (scruff stuff that justs takes over), and cut up some more of the pecan and get me some heartwood so I can take it to Jonathan Bosworth to see if it can be made into spindles. He's not up yet.

I need to use the table saw to cut my two by fours down to one by twos. I have never used it and don't want to screw this up, so I'm waiting.

It's supposed to be near 80 degrees this afternoon, so I also plan to set up a washing station in the yard and get some of this alpaca washed and at least get it starting to dry. I plan to cover it with some old sheer curtains while drying so it doesn't blow away. I can toss a tarp over it at night to keep the dew off.

Hark! I hear his footsteps overhead. He's up. Time to get to work!



Here is the washing station (and a picture of Ken)


This is how we are heating water for it.



Here is the alpaca in the first wash. Dirty, dirty water resulted.


Here is the first rinse water.


And here is the alpaca out on our cheater's version of a drying rack. I took the screen and laid it over the frame of a camping cot. Worked just fine.


Doesn't the fiber look like flattened road kill rats after a rainstorm?
It is now 7:59 p.m. I am sunburnt but happy. By the way, clean dry alpaca fiber is fluffy and light and loverly stuff. I will never spin unwashed stuff again if I can help it.

No comments: