Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11: are we really different?

Well, I'm a bit more paranoid about things since 9/11. It's hard to believe it's been 5 years. Yet I find myself with a mentality similar to what my grandparents experienced following The Great Depression. I have become a hoarder. I always have enough canned food on hand that my family can survive a couple of weeks on it. I also have enough food in the deep freezer that we could survive at least a month. I have pasta, rice and dried beans in the pantry.

Now, let it also be known that I have enough canning jars on hand (and a turkey fryer and pressure canner) that I could easily can 3/4s of what is in my freezer should we lose power.

I have learned to knit and spin since 9/11. I find it comforting and it helps sooth my stress levels, but i really started knitting to provide my family with clothing should the need arise. The spinning is a direct skill associated with the knitting. Unfortunately, I have not yet convinced my hubby that owning a sheep along with the dogs and chickens would be a good idea.

I also purchased a bicycle. I don't ride the thing, mind you -- although I should for exercise. But I have it and I could ride it if I needed to.

I was thinking the other day about how many rolls to toilet paper I should stock up just in case. The neighbors have a generator and I can get water from them if necessary. While it takes a pump to get water from the well to the house, there is a pressure valve at the well itself that will allow us to draw water if the electricity is off for an extended period of time.

I know how to make soap, candles and quilt. I also know how to butcher a deer. We do not own any firearms but a rifle is on my wish list. Also on my wish list is a propane stove/oven. I also plan to purchase fire bricks to make an oven should we be reduced to useing firewood for cooking.

I don't think we are even close to winning the "war" on terrorism. We are looking at events which will drag out over multiple generations and probably get worse before it gets better. I just feel like I need to be prepared for the worse.

No comments: