Saturday, June 17, 2006

Dying roving with Kool-Aid

I know, I know; I'm supposed to be packing and baking gluten-free muffins or cleaning the bathroom right now, but I got distracted. In my head at least, I'm on vacation and I wanted to play!

So I pulled a long strip of my roving off and sunk it into a small pot of vinegar water and let it soak for about 5 minutes (I got impatient) . Then I mixed up some grape Kool-Aid that the kids weren't drinking in about 3 ounces of water (3 packs). I laid the soaked roving over my well cover and dribbled purple Kool-Aid over it and immediately made an ugly face.

It was sort of grey/blue/purple. Like a bruise. Hmmmm. I wanted a light lavender like purple.

Oh well, too late now and I poured the rest.

Then I took the roving off the well cover and realized it was pulling paint chips with it. Hmmmm.

But I put the whole thing carefully into a ziplock bag and leaving a small opening in the zipper, I nuked it in the microwave for 2 minutes. I turned it and again zapped it for two minutes.

Then I dumped it out into a ceramic pie pan and set it in the window to cool. Here is a picture. It looks like something out of my dryer vent or worse, a very large hairball from the cat!

Well, I let it cool and then rinsed it in the sink and plucked out the paint chips then draped it over a hanger in the back yard where my clothes line used to be (Oh Ken? could you put that back up for me now? It's only been a year since you took it off when they put the siding on the house.)

And low and behold, it does not appear to have felted after all. And the color is much closer to what I was aiming for. See!

No comments: