Friday, March 03, 2006

I'm better today

I had a really nice chat with the Army recruiter yesterday. I had forgotten how polite military folks can be. He assured me that all is not lost and he is going to come by today with paperwork so they can get my son's medical records. He turns 17 Thursday of next week. His GED certificate should be in the mail by now. With any luck at all, he will be in boot camp by mid to late May.

In knitting news I woke up yesterday predawn (3:30 a.m.) and found I could not go back to sleep so I got up and decided to wind the skein of Cherry Tree Hill yarn into a ball. Since no one else was awake I used the back of a chair. At one point I had a rat's nest to untangle, but got the whole thing untangled and balled (center pull, at that) by the time my youngest left for school at 7:20 a.m.

Then I cast on 56 stitches and started the 6-Ply Socks Ellen's Birthday Socks by Nancy T. McGlynn.

Oh my goodness, this is some pretty yarn! I am very excited by this color, the way this yarn feels in my hands... And I am having a very successful time with the k2p2 ribbing this time. I did discover I have to really pay attention or I end up an odd yo here and there and have to go back and fix it.

In any case, I'm going to start these over for the third time tonight away from the TV when I can quietly concentrate. I had to work late last night and didn't get home until 9 p.m. and went almost immediately to bed having risen so early.

I like this yarn so much and I like the pattern so far. I may end up keeping these socks for myself.

And maybe I will get the opportunity to knit some socks for my soldier son in the near future.

No comments: