Thursday, December 02, 2010

Hurry up Solstice!

Sigh... I feel like I haven't seen my sheep in months! By the time I get home from work these days it's dark. The sheep have been fed (thank you, Ken) and are settling in for the night. I do not bother them once settled or it disrupts their whole world.

Sheep are smart, by the way. Jerry knows how to tell time and at 4 p.m. starts pacing the fence line and yelling for his evening meal (they get hay extender with either cracked corn or beet shreds). It's also time for the shepherd to check out the animals.

In the morning I put out hay before I leave for work, but they aren't overly interested in hay and prefer to nibble grass. I know they eat the hay when no one is looking (either that or the birds are flying in to steal it during the day when I'm gone) because it's missing within 24 hours. But they pretend to be uninterested when I put it out there.

Soon, they will start getting privit branches which is their favorite food of all times. They will love Ken with all their hearts and believe him to be bringer of all sorts of wonder until Spring when the privit stops coming and they start getting manhandled for their hair.

But I am waiting for Solstice when the days finally start getting longer again. My internal cycle is shuttling me off to bed around 8 or 8:30 at night and when I don't get home until 6 or so, that makes for a short evening in which to get things done.

No comments: