Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Big Black Soldier Socks Continue

I am struggling along with the second pair of socks for the Socks for Soldier's project. I have turned the heel on the first sock and am working on the gusset. Then I have to knit the foot and finish the toes THEN do the second in the pair.

I don't think I'm going to get it done by October 1st when our fearless leader, Kim, wants to ship off 500 pairs of socks. I suspect my first contribution to the group will come with the January shipment.

But I'm happy with the quality of these socks. I'm glad I'm not rushing through them.

I am waiting for John to send me a snippet of the new socks they have to wear which are green (sort of mossy, I think). I may just trot down to the PX at Fort Eustis and see if I can snag a pair so I can attempt to match the yarn color. The other option, John tells me is to knit white socks which are also permitted. Black is the color they wear in the army with their dress shoes. Heavy woolen socks would be uncomfortable in those things.

In any case, I will finish these BBS and send them along as soon as I can.

No comments: